Sunday 7 September 2014

Please don’t let me be last


Rewind 35 years. I am in a comprehensive school gym wearing a very unattractive navy pleated gym skirt and a pale blue Trutex top. My heart is pounding, but not from exercise… I am full of anxiety wondering how long it will take one of the ‘popular girls’ to pick me for their netball team. Gradually I watch as the sporty girls are fought over, then gradually most of the girls in my class are chosen, one by tedious one, then yes, as usual, I am one of the last.

Filled with shame I trudge out to the netball court, am placed in Wing Defence, or wherever it is I can do the least harm. I am lucky if I get to touch the ball even once during the whole match… so I can’t really blame the team leaders for not picking me.
A few months previously, and it was the same story with hockey along with my extreme reluctance to get muddy or to join in the scrum. Fast forward a month or two to tennis and the excruciating embarrassment of lining up to practice backhand, repeatedly missing, being made to keep on trying and attempting to ignore the giggling of the bored girls waiting for their turn. So, it is fair to say, PE was my least favourite part of the school experience.

The present day. It is 4 weeks until I do the Cardiff Half Marathon. It will be my third, and probably my last, given my age and physique! I was out on a long training run with my dog yesterday, when it suddenly occurred to me that I was really enjoying, really loving doing ‘Cross Country Running’! Yes, I hated that at school too, probably something to do with being sent out over Stafford Common in freezing fog every winter…

So I was enjoying Cross Country Running.
Why?
What has changed?

I have blogged before about drive and determination to overcome setbacks and hurdles (was rubbish at athletics too). I’m also well aware of all of the research about how many hours practice you have to put in to become expert at something. (Not sure the PE teachers who put me through sheep-dip PE hell week in week out had that in mind though.) I think what changed for me was finding ways of keeping fit that I enjoyed, realising the importance of fitness for health, doing things at my own pace etc. And to be honest, when I did my first half marathon, there was a huge element of wanting to prove them (PE teachers and sporty girls) wrong.

That was ten years ago, and to be honest, I have had many up and downs since then, otherwise I would now be on my 10th or 11th half marathon, whereas this will be my third. I have had injuries, which I have overcome, a half marathon I trained for but pulled out of a few days before due to illness, career highs and lows, times of being incredibly busy and therefore too exhausted and time poor to train, a time I was working away from home, and a family to look after. But that feeling I got ten years ago, when I finished that race and learned that fitness can be fun and rewarding is up there on my list of major achievements.




So yes, I suppose this is another blog about the importance of drive and resilience in the face of setbacks. But it is also about:
·      trying different approaches
·      finding what motivates you as an individual

·      finding ways of doing things you find difficult, but know to be important, in ways that fit in with you and your life.

(The picture is one of the views from my cross country running - the boatyard and Uphill church)

No comments:

Post a Comment