Sunday 15 February 2015

How we can support managers to develop their staff - a personal reflection.


I am writing this before I read the L and D Connect Storify on how we support managers to develop staff, which will no doubt, be much more diverse than my reflections, from what I saw of it last Friday morning (#ldinsight)

This is possibly the leadership and learning question that ignites my passion the most. The issue where I would derive the most satisfaction if I could see that my endeavours and influence had made a positive contribution.

When trying to explain what good HR (in its broadest term) looks like, I always say that one of the most critical things is the development of good people managers and the creation of enabling, fair and flexible HR frameworks so that they can get on with it skilfully - to the point where HR departments would no longer be necessary…

Before moving into ‘HR’, well management development actually, I spent 10 years as a mid range general manager. Although I completed the theoretical qualification to be a health service manager, this really didn’t cover anything practical, or anything on how to manage people on a day-to-day basis. (I think the management module covered Taylor, Ford and the Hawthorn Effect, with maybe a bit of McGregor thrown in, but it may as well have been Peter Rabbit’s Mr McGregor for all the use it was. Back then, this was classroom-based provision of theory and facts, with no reflective discussions or diaries, no application to workplace situations and certainly no double loop learning.)

My general management roles also included budgetary management, change management, facilities management (we managers were actually on a rota to do safe food handling training for the annual staff mandatory training), decommissioning services and re-commissioning new ones. I mainly used my common sense and learned a lot about how not to do things from some of the other managers I encountered. The greatest value from this was that I can genuinely empathise with managers trying to juggle lots of different priorities and strands to their work, and feeling frustrated by some of the processes they have to follow. I too have experienced an HR function that was distant and often appeared not to support managers who wanted to take definitive action. I probably only saw them when we needed to have consultation meetings with staff, or on my twice yearly trips to the darkened room of Workforce Planning.

Anyway, fast forward to senior roles in HR and L&D via management and leadership development roles and a MSc dissertation on how top NHS leaders got to where they were. This was mainly through their self determination, drive, early access to stretch targets, involvement in new project teams and most importantly, through having developmental line managers.

I strongly believe that everyone deserves a developmental line manager who has the time, space, skills and desire to be developmental with their whole team. Depending on what the team member wants (and needs – which may not be the same), this can be stretch targets and preparation for promotion, helping them to remain up to date in their current role, facilitating sideways moves, enabling broader access to other teams and leaders etc. The opportunities and combinations possible to achieve this are extensive and diverse.

For many managers, beleaguered by all of their other role demands (as budget managers, performance managers, H&S managers, building managers, customer service managers etc.) that can be a big ask. It can also be a big ask at all levels of the organisation, where so many other priorities and initiatives can get in the way.

This really is a classic case of the urgent getting in the way of the important.

So who should take responsibility for supporting managers to develop their staff?
L&D? HR? Leadership? Line managers themselves? Their staff?

It’s probably all of the above. Taking time, space, skills and desire in turn, I am so tempted to turn this into some sort of grid, but I won’t, as I think I would end up putting a tick in every box. There are probably Venn diagram overlapping possibilities here too…

Time. This is so obvious. All of the above need to make the time, otherwise how can any organisation ever say that people are their biggest asset? 3 or 4 years ago, I set up a series of practical leadership workshops for new or newish middle managers. We combined practical learning about how you manage a change within your team for example – not just the theory (from their interviews for their roles, they had that in abundance from their ILM 5 studies) – but how to consult your staff for example, with practice and action learning sets in between. This was popular and I was planning a new group and another for aspiring managers, when all had to be halted because virtually all of my time and that of my team was required to implement a massive government driven change entailing all hands on deck in HR. So you could say I was guilty of putting the urgent over the important myself. More recently, following the change, we commissioned some specific leadership workshops and action learning sets for a similar group, focussing on retaining a values based approach in a commercial environment. This time, it was many of the middle managers who simply could not find the time due to other demands. A reasonable number did though, and they found the space this gave to think and reflect really useful.

Space. I think I actually mean ‘head space’ here – literally or virtually away from the hurly burly. Not just for workshop attendance, but also for reading, networking, individual reflection and the opportunity to try things out or take some risks in a safe environment. Again a responsibility for all, as line managers are also members of staff themselves. HR and L&D ought to be the professional source of expertise to support the organisation in building this in, but this is much more than that. It is deeply cultural and I believe HR and L&D have to really ‘get’ the business in order to be effective in influencing this.

Skills. Again, so obvious, but how do managers acquire and develop these skills? Are they natural attributes? Are they trainable? (Cue - a whole library of leadership, mentoring and coaching books on this.) I used common sense myself, and it wasn’t until over 10 year later when I completed a Masters in HR Development that so much made sense and fell into place. I don’t think that was good enough. The capability of managers to develop staff was widely varied back then, and in my experience has continued to be so ever since, everywhere I have worked. The great managers tended to be those we barely heard from in HR, and whose staff we barely heard from either, because they were doing such a good job, which was borne out by other measures too (it wasn’t because their teams were suppressed!) A major issue in the sectors in which I have worked has been where fantastic professionals’ only way of being promoted is to become a manager, and as many were commenting on the L and D Insight chat, this is a different skill set. I think organisational leadership needs to be more cognisant of that, in order to allow L&D and HR to design in how managers can gain the required skills, to give time and space for practice and reflection, and a dignified way of moving into something different, if they are just never going to get it.


Desire. I have used this word deliberately, as it indicates a love of developing others, rather than just needing to do this as part of the job. If a line manager of a large or largish team of individuals has no passion (which may need to be ignited) for their team’s development, then they should not be managing people. Simple. But not so simple without the requisite time, the support in making space available and the opportunity for those who desire this, or whose passion is germinating, to learn and practice the skills required.


Image from thedailyquipple.com

No comments:

Post a Comment